Friday, January 20, 2012

Finally! A Flat Rate Doctor!!!

I discovered something new and cool in the medical field - a flat rate Doctor!

For years I have carried medical insurance, but as an individual the rates are high and the deductibles even higher. I have been getting popped with $100/month increases each year. When they wanted over $600/month for a $5,000 deductible policy I finally said "no way" and dropped it.

THEN, i had a medical issue I needed to have a professional check out. That's when I discovered close to me a "flat rate doctor" who doesn't take insurance. She is an internist and charges a flat monthly fee which depends on your age. For my age (62) the rate is $145 a month!

For $145 I actually got to see the doctor - and see her multiple times a month, if necessary, for the same flat rate. With insurance, I was paying almost $600/month and STILL had to pay for the doctor because I never used $5,000 worth of services in a year.

Now I actually get something (medical access) for a fraction of what i was paying.

Yeah, yeah, I know - if I have a "major" medical problem I am uninsured but so what. In three years I will be eligible for Medicare and in the last 30 years I haven't even been in a hospital.

I figured I'd rather have the treatment than the high cost of med insurance. If any of you are in the Clear Lake area and want a referral to my new "flat rate" doc, let me know. She is smart and even set it up so that blood work I needed was billed to her ($50) instead of me having to pay Quest diagnostics $325 for the same test!

Things change and times change. This new "flat rate" medical service could be a model for the future - she will even send emails to clients who have questions!

P.S. After her examination, I felt relieved (I was worried I had a potential blood clot but she found no evidence of it). When you have an issue, go to a PRO! Don't think you are the expert in a field you know nothing about (that will come as a shock to a lot of politicians!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from real people welcome. The only comment rule is "BE CIVIL." Let's discuss SOLUTIONS based on real FACTS.

Thanks for your feedback! Click "Subscribe" or "Follow" for notification of future posts. Feel free to Share with your friends.